Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Tiniest Guilford Bell Pavilion






I have the dubious pleasure of owning a Guildford Bell house in Templestowe Lower. Perhaps I should define 'dubious' and 'pleasure'.

In 1999 I started to look for a new house that would bring me closer to the city as the trek on the South Eastern carpark was driving me into a early grave. I had a line drawn across the suburbs than ran through Warrigal Road and I was determine to fnd somewhere to live on the city side of this highway.

I started around Bentleigh and slowly crept up towards Forest Hills and Doncaster, although at the time I didnt think I was affluent enough to move into these Eastern suburbs. After 4 months of weekend searching I was told about this unusual house and asked if I would like to view. Of course one says yes when one is starting to get a little desperate.

I was given the address but told there was no point going to view from the outside as there was a wall all the way across the front and you couldnt see in. OK, thats different. Also the owner would want to meet me to show me round. Getting stranger by the minute.

I turned up at the appointed time full of curiosity and was completely gobsmacked by what was behind the wall. Admittedly in need of refurbishment and repair - and oh boy I was going to have my work cut out in the garden - but it was love at first sight...........

The 'pleasure' is in spending 8 years with a view to die for under the calming influence of one of the few pyramids in Melbourne and the 'dubious' is the amount of work that has been done to preserve one of the most original houses I have ever seen.

The original concept was very minimalist and I tried to keep within these parameters when I ripped out the kitchen, bathroom and laundry. The original owner was into the green and white so I continued the theme. As you can see from the plans it is a complete square with an area under the main roof but outside both back and front.

One of the interesting things is the heating which is hot water pipes running under the tiled floor and the fireplace which is off the floor. The few walls are clad in cedar except in the lounge, but with acres of panelling in the pyramid shaped roof this was probably unnecessary.
In all a wonderful experience to live in.

















1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is very nice. I recently found out that my new home was designed by Guilford Bell 40 years ago. I was looking at the plans and did a search on the Architect's name and came to know he was such a prominent figure in Melbourne architecture. Very exciting.